|REQUEST FOR APPROVAL OF CONCEPTUAL SITE PLAN, CONCEPTUAL ARCHITECTURE, AND CONCEPTUAL PUBLIC ARTWORK FOR LA FITNESS, A PROPOSED INDOOR RECREATION/FITNESS CENTER LOCATED AT THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF ORACLE ROAD AND HARDY ROAD
|At the January 24, 2012 meeting, the Conceptual Design Review Board (CDRB) voted to recommend approval of the three components of the Conceptual Design Package for LA Fitness:
The staff report to the CDRB is included as Attachment 2; and the CDRB draft minutes are included as Attachment 3.
- Conceptual Site Plan subject to the conditions shown in Attachment 1, Part I
- Conceptual Architecture subject to the conditions shown in Attachment 1, Part II.
- Conceptual Public Artwork subject to the condition shown in Attachment 1, Part III.
|The applicant requests approval of a Conceptual Site Plan (Attachment 4), Conceptual Architecture (Attachments 5 & 6), and Conceptual Public Artwork (Attachment 7). This project entails development of a 45,000 square foot indoor recreation/fitness center on an approximately 8.5 acre parcel. Access is provided from two new driveways on Oracle Road and Hardy Road. A grading exception was approved by the CDRB in support of this project.
|BACKGROUND OR DETAILED INFORMATION:
- Zoning is C-1 Commercial District
- Site is 8.5 acres
- Proposed use is fitness center/indoor recreation
- The property is currently vacant and undeveloped
- The site slopes downward from the northeast to the southwest corner, resulting in a grade change of 51 feet
- The site is located in the Oracle Road Scenic Overlay District (ORSCOD)
Conceptual Landscape Plan includes:
- One-story, 45,000 square foot building
- Proposed height: 25 feet with a 10 foot high architectural element. Allowed height: 25 feet. Architectural elements may exceed the building height limitation by no more than ten feet, subject to approval by the CDRB
- 271 parking spaces
Conceptual Site Plan:
- Ten foot wide landscape area around building
- Thirty foot wide landscape buffer with six foot high screen wall and retaining walls at east property line adjacent to neighborhood
- Thirty foot wide landscape buffer at southern property line adjacent to Hardy Road
- Open space areas at the rear and northeast corner of the site
- Landscaped, shaded seating area at the southwest corner of building
- 100 foot wide vegetation preservation zone along Oracle Road per ORSCOD
Due to the change in topography on the site, the Conceptual Site Plan utilizes terracing and retaining walls to accommodate the building pad and parking areas. The amount of cut and fill proposed for the site exceeds the Town's Grading Ordinance requirements. The applicant requested a Grading Exception, which was approved with conditions by the CDRB at its January 24, 2012 meeting. The conditions include requirements to help mitigate impact to neighbors to the east, and to make the graded and terraced areas of the site appear more natural. The Grading Exception Conditions of Approval are included as Attachment 8.
The CDRB found that with the incorporation of the conditions in Attachment 1, Part I, the Conceptual Site Plan will be in substantial conformance with the Design Principles and applicable Design Standards, and has recommended approval.
The applicant submitted a Conceptual Architecture design to the CDRB that included a 25 foot high building with a 10 foot high architectural element. Per the Zoning Code, architectural elements may exceed building height by no more than ten feet, subject to approval by the CDRB. At the second neighborhood meeting, the applicant proposed a compromise: a five foot high brick architectural element, which was supported by neighbors. The CDRB approved the five foot high brick architectural element for the architectural design, not the original 10 foot high feature. The architectural element approved by CDRB is included as Attachment 9.
The CDRB found that with the incorporation of the conditions in Attachment 1, Part II, the Conceptual Architecture will be in substantial conformance with the Design Principles and applicable Design Standards, and has recommended approval.
Conceptual Public Artwork:
The CDRB found that with the incorporation of the condition that a drawing indicating the location of the public artwork must be provided, the Conceptual Public Artwork will be in substantial conformance with the Zoning Code Section 27.3.H. Review Criteria and applicable Design Standards, and has recommended approval.
PUBLIC NOTIFICATION AND COMMENT:
Notice has been provided to property owners within 300 feet of the property, and within an extended area to the north, east, and south of the site.
Neighborhood meetings were held on June 21, 2011 and October 27, 2011. Approximately 40 residents attended the first meeting, and approximately 20 residents attended the second meeting. At the first meeting, neighbors expressed a number of concerns regarding the proposal. The primary concern was with the finished floor elevation of the building. Subsequently, the applicant made a number of changes to the Conceptual Site Plan and Conceptual Architecture to address neighborhood concerns, which were presented at the second neighborhood meeting. A list of the neighborhood concerns with the applicant's response/agreed upon solution is provided in Attachment 10. Letters from neighbors are provided in Attachment 11.
At the second meeting, the applicant presented an architectural concept that included a 25 foot high building with a 5 foot high brick architectural element. This concept was supported by neighbors.
CONCEPTUAL SITE PLAN:
I MOVE to (approve, approve with conditions, or deny) the Conceptual Site Plan for LA Fitness located at the northeast corner of Oracle Road and Hardy Road, subject to the conditions in Attachment 1, Part I.
I MOVE to (approve, approve with conditions, or deny) the Conceptual Architecture for LA Fitness located at the northeast corner of Oracle Road and Hardy Road, subject to the conditions in Attachment 1, Part II.
CONCEPTUAL PUBLIC ARTWORK:
I MOVE to (approve, approve with conditions, or deny) the Conceptual Public Artwork for LA Fitness located at the northeast corner of Oracle Road and Hardy Road, subject to the condition in Attachment 1, Part III.