|Request for approval of Conceptual Public Art for OneAZ Credit Union, located on the northeast corner of 1st Avenue and Oracle Road
|The Conceptual Design Review Board (CDRB) recommended approval on September 12, 2017.
|The purpose of this request is to consider Conceptual Public Art for OneAZ Credit Union, located on the northeast corner of 1st Avenue and Oracle Rd. (see Attachment 1). The proposed artwork is a freestanding sculpture using fiber optics and powder-coated steel to depict a blooming agave. The proposed art piece will be installed on a steel base cabinet in a popular customer area of the bank's lobby. A floor plan showing the artwork's location and the artist's design are included in Attachment 2.
The CDRB recommended approval based on the finding that the proposed artwork meets the Town's 1% for Public Art requirement and is consistent with the Town's Design Principles and Design Standards.
|BACKGROUND OR DETAILED INFORMATION:
|OneAZ Credit Union is a 3,500 sq. ft. bank, currently in the final review phase of development. The proposed art is to meet the Town's 1% for Public Art requirement. Based on the project cost, a regional call for artist was required. Partnering with the Southern Arizona Arts and Cultural Alliance (SAACA), the applicant reviewed 36 portfolios and awarded the final public art contract to local artist, Matthew Moutafis.
Approvals to Date:
- 2002: OV Town Centre PAD approved by Town Council
- 2013: San Dorado Final Site Plan approved by Town Council
- 2017: OneAZ Final Site Plan, Landscape Plan and Architecture approved
Conceptual Public Art Design Principles and Design Standards review:
- Install a freestanding sculpture in the lobby of OneAZ Credit Union
- Dimensions: 9' x 4' (height and width)
- Materials: Steel and wood veneer
- Colors: Copper, blue and green patina
- Estimated building permit valuation: $1,900,000
- Required art budget: $19,000
- Proposed art budget: $20,000
The Zoning Code establishes Design Principles and Design Standards to evaluate public art projects. The project's conformance with notable Design Principles and Design Standards is provided below and a detailed analysis for each is provided in the attached CDRB report (Attachment 3).
- Quality: The original art piece compliments the interior of the lobby by using vibrant colors and capturing the natural light from large windows. The artist will create a steel structure with fiber optics and powder-coatings of copper, blue and green patina to create the illusion of a blooming agave plant.
- Durability: The sculpture will be bolted to the floor for structural support and safety. Minimal maintenance is required and the artist will provide any repairs, if needed.
- Safety: The sculpture will be bolted to the floor to eliminate the potential of tipping and all electrical components will be neatly stored away within the steel base cabinet. The agave leaves are also bent upward so sharp edges do not extend beyond the diameter of the base.
- Diversity: The colors and use of fiber optics is unique to this piece adding to the diversity and style of public art.
- Visibility: The lobby is open to the public forty (40) hours a week and the sculpture will be installed next to a popular customer area. Additionally, the artwork helps define the space by acting as a separation between the open lobby and smaller offices.
|I MOVE to APPROVE the Conceptual Public Art for OneAZ Credit Union, based on the finding that the proposed public artwork is consistent with the Design Principles and Design Standards.
I MOVE to DENY the Conceptual Public Art for OneAZ Credit Union, as it does not meet _____________________________.