|DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION ON REQUESTS RELATED TO A PROPOSED ASSISTED LIVING AND MEMORY CARE FACILITY LOCATED AT 9005 N. ORACLE ROAD
A. CONCEPTUAL SITE PLAN, LANDSCAPE PLAN AND RECREATION AREA PLAN
B. CONCEPTUAL ARCHITECTURE
|The Conceptual Design Review Board recommends approval of the requests, subject to the condition in Attachment 1.
|The purpose of this agenda item is to consider the proposed Oro Valley Senior Care facility, on 3.3 acres at 9005 N. Oracle Road (Attachment 2). The planned facility is comprised of a single building for assisted living and memory care units, support services and private recreational amenities.
There are two separate requests associated with the development which includes: Site Plan/ Landscape Plan/ Recreation Area Plan and Architectural Plan.
A. The Site, Landscape and Recreation Plans conform with the Design Principles and the Zoning Code as follows:
B. The Architectural Plan conforms to the Design Principles and applicable Design Standards as follows:
- Parking appropriate to the proposed use is provided. The applicant was granted a request to reduce the parking because the residents will not drive, adequate parking is provided for employees and guests, and the proposed parking is similar to other facilities.
- All significant vegetation within 100 feet of Oracle Road will be protected in place or transplanted within the bufferyard.
- Private recreational amenities are provided
- The site conforms to the senior care requirements, with a waiver requested for resident walkways to some parking areas.
- Traditional/contemporary southwest architecture
- Varied roof and wall planes
- Varied materials and colors
- Height and materials are compatible with surrounding development
The applicant's submittal (Attachment 3) has been reviewed and recommended for approval by the Conceptual Design Review Board.
|BACKGROUND OR DETAILED INFORMATION:
| Land Use Context:
The land use for this area is as follows:
Existing Site Conditions:
- West: Across Oracle Road, LA Fitness and the Pulte Homes buildings
- North and South: Apartments
- West: Large lot residential
- General Plan: High Density Residential and Neighborhood Commercial/Office (Attachment 4)
- Zoning: Residential Service District (Attachment 5)
Approvals to Date:
- 3.3 acres
- Vacant with significant vegetation
- 1959: Shadow Mountain Plat recorded
- 2007: Commercial Development Plan for an office complex approved (now expired)
A. Conceptual Site /Landscape and Recreation Plans:
- 84,000 square foot building
- 69 assisted living units
- 32 memory care units
- 53,000 square feet of private indoor and outdoor recreation
- 56 parking spaces
The Site Plan reflects a single building with associated parking, recreation and landscaping. The proposal is consistent with Design Principles and applicable Design Standards. Items associated with these plans include:
For more detail, please see analysis of Design Principle conformance in Attachment 7.
- Conforms with the senior care requirements for covered parking, open space, recreation area, and resident walkways to most parking areas. A waiver, as enabled by the code, is requested for two parking areas. The requests are recommended as the residents of the facility will not drive.
- Relocation of significant vegetation supported based on the following:
- Parking lot and drive aisles designed to preserve 76% of the significant vegetation in place and the remaining will be relocated onsite.
- Moving 6 trees will increase survivabilty and reduce the grade of the driveway.
- Landscape Plan provides an attractive streetscape, appropriate bufferyards and screening of the loading zone.
- Alternative parking ratio (Attachment 6) approved based on:
- None of the residents drive and parking is provided for employees and guests.
- The proposed parking is consistent with similar facilities.
- Public art will be provided near the main entrance to the facility. A public art submittal is being prepared through a call to artists process through Southern Arizona Arts Cultural Alliance and will be forthcoming.
- The projected daily traffic generation of the Oro Valley Senior Living development is very low and minor in comparison to the daily traffic on Oracle Road. This development will not negatively affect the level of service of Oracle Road.
- The drainage system for the proposed development has been designed to meet the Town’s Drainage Criteria Manual and Floodplain Ordinance requirements.
B. Proposed Conceptual Architecture:
The building architecture (Attachment 3) incorporates traditional and contemporary southwestern elements, shapes and materials and uses the following techniques to break up the height and mass of the buildings:
The proposed Architectural Plan (Attachment 3) is compatible with the surrounding development, and the overall architecture is an enhancement to the area.
- Varied roof and wall planes
- Varied materials and colors
For more detail, please see analysis of the Design Principles in Attachment 8.
Public participation met the requirements of the Zoning Code. Notable elements of the public outreach included:
Conceptual Design Review Board Action:
- A neighborhood meeting was held on May 13, 2016, with approximately 11 residents in attendance (Attachment 10).
- Applicant floated balloons at the approximate building height (Attachment 8). No resident comments were recieved.
- One email in support of the project was received (Attachment 11).
The requests were considered by the Conceptual Design Review Board on September 20, 2016. Discussion at the meeting focused on the alternative parking ratio and significant vegetation.
At the conclusion of the meeting the Conceptual Design Review Board recommended approval of the requests subject to the condition in Attachment 1. The Conceptual Design Review Board staff report and draft minutes are included as Attachment 12 and 13 respectively.
|Conceptual Site Plan (including waiver from separate resident walkways), Landscape Plan, and Recreation Area Plan (A)
I MOVE to approve the Conceptual Site Plan (including waiver from separate resident walkways), Landscape Plan and Recreation Area Plan subject to the condition in Attachment 1.
I MOVE to deny the Conceptual Site Plan (including waiver from separate resident walkways), Landscape Plan, and Recreation Area Plan finding that __________________________________.
Conceptual Architecture (B)
I MOVE to approve the Conceptual Architecture.
I MOVE to deny the Conceptual Architecture finding that __________________________________.