As part of the Board-approved space utilization plan from 2015, a number of facilities were deemed unworthy of significant investment. That was based on the Facility Condition Assessment (FCA) that was performed on every building. Each building was given a Facility Condition Index (FCI) as a rating system for these buildings. An FCI of over 25% would indicate the building was no longer cost effective to maintain and should be replaced. Of the seven buildings identified for replacement, three are on the Agriculture/Facilities campus on the corner of Cottonwood and Imperial. These buildings also comprise the oldest in our portfolio, built in the mid 1950s. The county owns about 75% of that city block. The remaining 25% consists of single family homes on the Pine Street side.
As part of a bigger plan to vacate this entire campus, a number of strategies were evaluated and discussed with the Board’s Committee on Capital Improvements (CCI). The resulting priorities included a number of department moves in order to accommodate the needs. The first move involves Innovation and Technology Services (ITS) from 120 West Main Street to the second floor of 100 West Court Street. Child Support Services occupies the first floor of that building. For cost-effectiveness, the data center will remain at 120 West Main Street as it is in a secure location and has backup power and other redundancies which would be expensive to relocate. The construction documents were developed for this project and the lowest responsible bidder is recommended for contract award and execution (Att. A) (Exhibits are on file with Clerk of the Board).
Another part of this plan is to relocate the Agriculture Department into the previous ITS space at 120 West Main Street, once ITS moves. That will include fencing the parking lot behind the building to create a new corporation yard for their vehicle, equipment and other needs. In addition, a new metal building for labs and equipment storage will be built inside this fenced area.
One issue this creates is access to the current Grand Jury space at 120 West Main Street. However, with Veteran’s Services now out of suites A and B of the building, a quick remodel of that space will give the Grand Jury a new store front that offers more privacy and accessibility than their current location.
Once these moves/projects are completed, we will begin working on relocating General Services-Facilities division to a new space where the old Juvenile Detention Facility was just demolished. That will consolidate the entire department in one location as opposed the three currently. That plan is being added to the Capital Improvement Plan for future funding.
Currently there is $2,200,000 budgeted for these projects included in Adopted Budget. In addition to the contract amount requested for approval in Recommendations B-C for the ITS move, the following related, estimated project costs include:
Agriculture to 120 West Main Street: $1,400,000
Grand Jury from 120 West Main Street Suite F to Suites A & B: $100,000
New Facilities Building (next to Fleet Services) TBD
As these amounts are estimated, actual amounts will be brought to the Board for approval and funding at the appropriate time. Given that the project involves multiple moves and will be conducted in phases, additional budget requests are likely to come back at a later time. Staff expect the earliest a budget update may come back to the Board would be at mid-year 2021-22.
Another portion of this overall plan will be to find space for the UC Cooperative Extension to relocate into as well. Once Facilities moves to the Beamer/Cottonwood campus, more space in 120 West Main will be a potential for them to co-locate again with the Agriculture Department. After the Ag/Facilities campus is fully vacated, all available options will be considered. One of those options that has been suggested and may need additional exploration is an agreement with a developer to build housing or a long term memory care facility on that parcel.