Commissioners Court - Special Meeting
Return to the Agenda
Presentation of proposed beach camping changes at I.B. Magee Park
Ginny Gunderson, Commissioner Pct 4
Commissioner Pct 4
Receive a presentation related to beach camping changes at I.B. Magee Park, Port Aransas, Texas.
This plan would eliminate the North section of designated beach camping area due to over usage of the restroom facilities at that location and returning that section to day use. A camping area will still remain to the South.
The plan will provide the following:
1. Currently the beach camping facilities (Beach Camping Shower-House and Restroom) do not meet industry standards to accommodate both areas when at full capacity. This poses a health and sanitary issue.
2. Having more day use area fits with the overall vision and human use patterns of the "end user" who comes to the Port Aransas area as well as residents.
3. Establishes larger protected use area free of vehicle traffic benefiting the safety and welfare of children.
4. Ensure compliance with BMP's and Guidelines of the GLO in regards to vehicles being kept so far from the water edge.
5. Complies with the Counties Beach Management Plan as currently written.
6. Provides a protected area for wintering threatened and endangered species of shoreline birds of which our area has been designated as "critical habitat".
7. We no longer have the needed licensed security personnel in the department or sufficient access else where from which to police and enforce all code violations or permit enforcement.
The ultimate goal is to re-direct folks within the established RV/Tent camping areas reducing to direct impacts and management thereof of beach front camping for this section and while still maintaining established "multi use" recreational opportunities.
Information about available funds
Funds NOT Available:
Account Code(s) for Available Funds
Beach Camping Changes Map
IB Magee Beach Access
AgendaQuick ©2005 - 2021 Destiny Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.