|The contract with Waste Management for waste collection and recycling services includes an educational component that provides for a defined amount for environmental education programs, services and projects equal to 1% of the amount spent on all services paid for in the previous calendar year. Projects are identified by Environmental Services staff and in 2015 Waste Management is providing $47,956.99 in funding to the Township for environmental education programs per this contract.
These funds have allowed the department to respond to emerging issues, enhance existing programs, and pilot new programs. The funds are used to supplement not supplant existing Environmental Services program budgets. Projects have included:
• Direct mail educational pieces to residents (e.g. recycling, leaf management, lawn care, mosquito abatement, household hazardous waste, litter, water conservation). These pieces often are funded with additional funds from other partners (e.g. WJPA, TWG, Pct 3).
• Recycling and Water Conservation: Purchase of Clear Stream event recycling equipment, school educational assemblies and programs (e.g. Jack Golden Water Water Everywhere, Steve Trash Magic Show, JoJo mosquito), bins for classroom and cafeteria recycling at schools, paper & glass recycling promos, water conservation kits etc.
• Sponsor: Nature Lecture Series, Earth Day GreenUp, Woodlands Landscaping Solutions event, WaterFest
• Sponsor reduced prices for compost bins to Woodlands residents at compost classes
• Publications: donation guide, recycling guide and others as well as ads with this information