|A review of the sign code was requested at the December 20, 2021 Council meeting by Council Member Stander and seconded by Council Member Band. The sign code is attached. Since this is in the Zoning Code, in order to make changes, this will require a public hearing before the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Town Council. The initial question was regarding A-Frame signs and that section is below:
Temporary A-Frame Signs shall be permitted in PSC Planning Shopping Center, C-1 Neighborhood Commercial, C-2 Central Business and C-3 Major Street Commercial zoning districts upon the issuance of a Temporary Sign Permit contingent on compliance with the following Conditions:
1. SIZE. A-Frames may be no greater than three feet (3’) in width and four feet (4’) in height.
2. NUMBER. One (1) A-Frame sign shall be allowed for each business, and two (2) businesses may utilize one (1) shared A-Frame sign.
3, DISPLAY. Only during the posted hours the business is open to conduct business.
4. LOCATION. A-Frame signs shall be located only:
a. At grade level.
b. On the property of the business being advertised or offsite with the written consent of the property owner.
c. In Town right-of-way, a minimum of four feet (4’) from back of curb or edge of street shoulder should no curb exist.
5. PROHIBITED LOCATIONS. A-Frame Signs shall not be located:
a. In parking aisles or stalls.
b. In driving lanes.
c. On trails.
d. On public sidewalks.
e. On fences, boulders, trees, planters, other signs, vehicles, utility facilities, or any structure.
f. Within a minimum distance of twenty feet (20’) from any other A-Frame Sign.
6. CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE. A-Frame Signs shall be done in a professional manner free from chipping paint, cracks, gouges, and/or loss of letters, and shall be printed material. No hand-written signs shall be permitted.
7. ELEMENTS PROHIBITED ON A-FRAME SIGNS. The following shall be prohibited on A-Frame Signs:
a. Any form of illumination, including flashing, blinking, or rotating lights.
c. Reflective Materials.
d. Attachments, including but not limited to balloons, ribbons and speakers.
8. TEMPORARY PERMIT REQUIRED. Applicants for A-Frame Signs shall obtain a Temporary Sign Permit, which shall expire one (1) year from date of issuance. If two (2) businesses are advertised on one (1) A- Frame, each business must obtain a Temporary Sign Permit.
9. REMOVAL OF A-FRAME SIGNS. All signs permitted pursuant to this Section shall be removed from the property upon the expiration of the Temporary Sign Permit